Job Posting: Worship Tech Lead
$25-35/hour Estimated 6-8 hours/week, with Sundays from 8:30 AM-1:00 PM required.
Other hours flexible
The First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia is a progressive and spiritually diverse congregation whose mission is to awaken love and justice in our lives and in the world. As we are a growing church with a vibrant rental program in downtown Philadelphia, our competent, kind, and fun staff team serves both our diverse congregational population and spiritual, musical, social justice, and educational groups who use our spaces throughout the year.
Position Summary: The Worship Tech Lead will plan for and lead the execution of the video and audio production and broadcast of worship services on Sunday mornings, recommend and implement changes to the current audio and video setup and continually make incremental improvements to the systems use, and work with and support the growth of staff and volunteer members of the church who aid in video and audio production and broadcast. Reports to the Building Superintendent.
- Worship Audio and Video Production and Broadcast: Leading staff and congregational volunteers to execute the audio and video production and broadcast of Sunday morning worship services, including
- Setup and breakdown of equipment.
- Audio reinforcement of worship leaders, music director, choir, and band in the sanctuary.
- Broadcast of a 3-camera video and 16 channel audio to our virtual congregation over zoom.
- Playback of video and audio media over zoom and into the sanctuary.
- Broadcast of zoom participants into the sanctuary.
- Troubleshooting of technical issues, and responding to technical challenges.
- Production Planning
- Work with Worship Leaders and the Music Director to plan for specialty audio and video needs for each worship service.
- Work with the tech volunteer coordinator and building supervisor to ensure an appropriately sized crew is present for each worship service.
- Working with and Training Staff and Volunteers
- Work with and train volunteers and staff in improved production practices.
- System Design and Improvement
- Assess the current system being used.
- Recommend changes and implement approved upgrades to equipment and systems.
- Incrementally improve production and communication systems.
Core Qualities: As the leader of technical production, the candidate must be skilled in digital audio and video production and broadcast, and have the leadership skills to successfully work with staff and volunteers. Essential qualities include kindness, patience, self-direction, positivity, flexibility, humor, clear communication, a high degree of organization, an eye for detail, collaborative, plus a drama-free approach to problem-solving. Candidates should be proficient with audio and video production, including setting up an audio reinforcement system, audio mixing on a digital console, using computer based video broadcast production software (vMix preferred), and broadcasting to Zoom. Knowledge of computer networking and NDI Protocol preferred.
- Able to move freely around church building (we are unfortunately not fully wheelchair accessible at this time).
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs of sound and/or video equipment on occasion.
To Apply: Send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com to the attention of Norman Fouhy (Business Administrator). Position open until filled.
Job Posting: Sexton
Hourly Rate $15/hour at 20-30 hr/wk; evening and weekend work
Health & Retirement Benefits, and Paid Vacation.
The vibrant First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia seeks a part-time Sexton. This historic church is a progressive and spiritually diverse congregation. As a regional community center, it welcomes an average of 2,000 people per week to participate in numerous cultural, educational, civic, social justice, wellness, and spiritual events.
Position Summary: The Sexton is responsible for housekeeping, security, support and oversight of events occurring in the building.
• Completes housekeeping tasks as assigned
• Sets up for in-house events as prescribed
• Cleans up after in-house events
• Monitors access to the building throughout shift
• Assures the building is secure when locked down
• Provides oversight of activities in the building as they occur
• Supports Building Superintendent as needed
• Undertakes other duties as assigned
Competencies: We seek candidates who offer a unique combination of skills and interests who will enjoy a role ranging from specific custodial duties to broader interaction with the public and church visitors. Applicants must demonstrate outstanding task completion, a high degree of cleanliness and organization, and attention to detail. As a public face for a religious organization, the incumbent must possess superior interpersonal skills to successfully manage the extensive interaction with a diversity of individuals and groups, including strong problem-solving skills, clear communication, patience, kindness, and flexibility.
To Apply: Send a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, to the attention of Norman Fouhy (Business Administrator).
Note to Candidates: First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia is committed to developing a diverse and talented staff team and we encourage people of color, Indigenous people, Hispanic/Latinx, and LGBTQ candidates to apply if interested and qualified for these positions. Diversity and Inclusion are core values of First Unitarian Church. We are an equal opportunity employer and will not allow discrimination based on age, race, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic background. First Unitarian Church has a policy of not hiring current church members for staff positions.